Can a worker at sea earn workers' compensation?

Insurance claims for injuries and other losses at sea go through special maritime procedures. This includes those who were injured on a shipping vessel (where workers’ compensation is not normally valid). The Jones Act allows sailors injured within the scope of their work to potentially sue their employer(s) for personal injuries and negligence.

What kinds of wishes can I put into a living will?

Living wills are important documents that state and certify your medical wishes in the event you’re unable to do so on your own. It’s often created and executed with a power of attorney document and will likely name someone to act on your behalf.

A living will is important to outline your wishes pertaining to: life-prolonging medical care, intravenous food and water, and ongoing palliative care. A living will clearly details document how long you’d like to remain in certain medical conditions should your situation be serious enough.

What is “lemon law”?

If you buy a product (typically an automobile) that fails to meet an expected standard of quality and performance, that product is then typically considered “defective”. In most situations, you’re entitled to a replacement vehicle or fix of the defection in a reasonable amount of time. If the issue caused an injury or other damage, you may be entitled to compensation for the issue and negligence.

What do I do if I suspect elder abuse?

Unfortunately, nursing home abuse incidents are becoming more common. If you suspect this happening in a Maryland nursing home you should file an initial complaint here. If the case is serious enough, resulting in injury or death, you may want to consult an attorney to determine if the situation warrants a lawsuit or further action.

How do I know if my auto accident injuries are serious enough for a lawsuit?

In most cases, a determination will be made about the extent of your injuries and if your “pain and suffering” is serious enough to warrant further action. The best way of establishing this is keeping detailed records of any medical costs post-accident and getting an official diagnosis from a qualified medical professional about your injuries and potential recovery time.

What are the differences between “maritime” and “admiralty” law?

Maritime law governs commercial activities on all navigable waterways while admiralty dictates sea-based shipping rules and regulations. (Cargo ships must adhere to admiralty, for example.) Maritime law can also make shipowners responsible for a range of damages, sometimes not of their own fault. Admiralty also oversees recreational and leisure activities, including cruise ships. Cruise ships are generally tied to the laws of their registration country.

Can I be imprisoned for outstanding debt?

No. It is illegal in the United States to imprison anyone solely for debts unpaid. Creditors and agencies will come after you for unpaid balances (and often in near-unlawful ways), but they can only issue warnings and repossess unpaid property.

What do I need to know about Maryland's medical malpractice laws?

If you believe you’ve suffered additional pain and injury due to the negligence of a medical professional, you’ll need to produce proof. The state requires a “certificate of a qualified expert filing,” which requires a Maryland-licensed medical professional to review your case and find, under oath, that your health care provider failed to act with the “accepted standard of medical care” for your specific situation. There are also monetary limits to potential “non-economic” damages, which have a specific definition. In any case, you should work with a qualified malpractice attorney to better understand your rights and potential lawsuit options.

What are the types of Maryland traffic violations?

The state has two types of traffic violations: “payable” and “must appear.” As you might expect, “payable” violations are typically minor (low-level speeding, expired tags, etc.) and require the fine payment. “Must appear” violations are serious offenses, including DUI, driving on a suspended license, and more.

Does Maryland have an intestacy law?

Yes. The state outlines a variety of ways in which succession upon someone’s death can occur. Most notably, if the decedent has a spouse but no living parents or children, the spouse inherits everything. In most cases, a valid will supersedes the course of succession if other wishes are clearly spelled out.

No matter the case, Gregory P. Robinson, J.D., LLC is here to help. Call (410) 295-6606 to learn more about his 25+ years of experience.

(410) 295-6606